When you hear the name Sam Newman you think of legendary Geelong Football Club player and AFL Footy Show star, what you don't think of is golf tournament leader.
However over the past two days Newman has tamed the famed Huntingdale Golf Club sandbelt layout to lead the Victorian PGA Amateur Challenge.
Playing alongside big hitting Professional Steve Jones the pair has combined well to be 20-under the card in the 4BBB format.
Newman who is playing off a handicap of 11, contributed seven net birdies and two net eagles across the two days.
The pair lead the tournament by one shot from amateur Campbell Neal and Professional Matt Griffin.
Newman and Jones will tee off in the final round of the Victorian PGA Amateur Challenge at 7.36am playing alongside Ricky Ponting and Daniel Popovic who are 9-under the card.
Entry to Huntingdale Golf Club is free and spectators are welcome.
Headlines at a glance
- World Cup of Golf hospitality now on sale 25.05.2016
- Golf Trader - PGA Member David Fearns (Jnr) 25.05.2016
- Big Aussie assault at second Senior Major 25.05.2016
- McCardle, Wood to build on good China start 25.05.2016
- Strong Aussie contingent at Czech Challenge 25.05.2016
- Scrivener reaps rewards with Wentworth start 25.05.2016
Big Aussie assault at second Senior Major
Four Australians will be in the field for the year's second senior major which tees off this week in Michigan.
PGA Tour China
McCardle, Wood to build on good China start
After making good starts in the first event of the season to be in the top-10 on the PGA TOUR China Order of Merit, Max McCardle and Chris Wood will b...