It was an early alarm for everyone at the Australian PGA Championship after the first round was restarted at 5.30am this morning.

Harold Varner IIIPutting some early birdies on the scorecard was Harold Varner III and Ashley Hall who join Andrew Dodt in the lead at 7-under the card after the first round was completed.

"I got it going on the last two holes, a good way to finish.  Obviously, ready to go this morning - it feels like afternoon," said Varner, who set his alarm for 2.45am today.

"It gets light here at 4.10, 4.20, so it's not too bad and it's not cold when you get up, so that kind of helps.

While the overnight suspension was less than ideal, Hall found a way to work it to his advantage.  

"I think everyone set a new record for alarms this morning, so definitely worthwhile for me," said Hall.

"I kind of planned it pretty good.  I had a second shot into the par-5 that was a little bit iffy yesterday, whether I go for it into the wind, but we come out here, first thing in the morning, there's no wind and it's not a question. 

"I can hit it on in two and two putt for birdie. I certainly took my time and waited for the guys to get off the green last night.  I thought they were going to blow it pretty soon and it worked out to my advantage."

Matthew Griffin is a shot further back at 6-under the card with the Victorian chasing the ISPS HANDA PGA Tour of Australasia Order of Merit.

"I guess it makes the 3am alarm worthwhile, making three this morning was really good," said Griffin, who made three birdies after play resumed.

"The best way is to control my own destiny, so the better I play, the harder it is for anyone behind to catch me and there are some good players, so I've just got to keep that mindset and just look after my own job and whatever the other guys do, they do."

It was a quick turnaround for the players with just 45 minutes for them to prepare for the second round after completing their drawn out first round.

The field is now on course in the second round.