Professional Year Program
The PGA Professional Year (PY) Program is designed as a golf-specific educational opportunity for graduates from the PGA International Golf Institute (IGI) Diploma of Golf Management and the Griffith University or ICMS Bachelor of Business program.
A PGA Professional Year Trainee works alongside fully qualified PGA Professionals at approved golf facilities around Australia and receives practical work experience and on the job training. In addition, Professional Year Trainees gain access and play in a number of professional events for the duration of the program. Upon successful completion of the program graduates receive exclusive Membership to one of the oldest and most respected sporting associations in the world, the PGA.
12 months, full time
Nationally Recognised Qualifications
Graduates of the PGA Professional Year Program are eligible for the following certifications and accreditations.
- Manage meetings
- Build and sustain an innovative work environment
- Customise coaching for athletes with specific needs
- Implement selection policies
- Implement a talent identification program
- Assist athletes to prevent and manage injury and illness
- Plan and implement high performance training and recovery programs
- Conduct individualised long term training programs
- Determine needs of client populations
- Promote compliance with laws and legal principles
- Manage projects
- Select and use technology for sport, fitness and recreation
- Manage organisational risks
- Manage finances within a budget
- Lead and manage people
- Fit and alter golf equipment
- Manage the structure and facilitation of golf competitions and tournaments
- Apply advanced skills, tactics and strategies of golf in high performance competition
- Teach the advanced skills of golf
- Apply the advanced tactics and strategies of golf
- Teach the advanced tactics and strategies of golf
- Design and implement strategies to increase junior participation in golf
- Manage on course golf operations
- Interpret and apply the rules of golf
- Vocational (level 3) Golf Coach Accreditation endorsed by the Australian Sports Commission
- Full Vocational Membership of the PGA of Australia
The postgraduate employment rate is well above average, with 90 per cent of graduates gaining golf industry specific employment in their first year as a Member of the PGA.Employment opportunities for graduates of the PGA Professional Year Program include, but are not limited to:
- Head Professional
- Assistant Professional
- Golf Operations Assistant/ Manager
- Teaching Professional
- Tournament Professional
- Development Officer
- Company Sales/Technical Representative
- Golf Club Manager
2016 fees $5,800*
*cost subject to change without notice.
To be eligible to apply for the Professional Year Program, candidates must have successfully completed the PGA-IGI Diploma of Golf Management with articulation into successful completion of a Bachelor of Business via Griffith University (QLD) or ICMS (NSW).
For further information please read the PGA Professional Year Information Kit.
European Tour and PGA Tour of Australasia announce Strategic Alliance
The relationship between the European Tour and the ISPS HANDA PGA Tour of Australasia has been officially ratified through a Strategic Alliance, which...
Second annual Premier’s Cup a big hit
The Australian golf industry united on Monday for the second annual Premier's Cup which saw approximately $245,000 raised for the Good Friday Appeal a...