Jack Nicklaus claimed the PGA Championship trophy in 1980
The final Major of the year is just over a week away, with the Aussies certain to make their presence felt. But did you know...
• The youngest ever US PGA Champion is American Gene Sarazen, who won the tournament in 1922 at age 20
• At the other end of the spectrum, at 48 years old Julius Boros became the oldest winner in 1968
• Jack Nicklaus holds the record for the largest winning margin, winning in 1980 by 7 shots
• Four Australians have previously won the US PGA Championship: Jim Ferrier (1947,) David Graham (1979,) Wayne Grady (1990) and Steve Elkington (1995.)
• Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer hold the join record for contesting the most US PGA Championships, the legendary duo each competing in 37 championships
• From the match play era, Walter Hagen is the most prolific winner of the US PGA Championship with five titles, which was matched by Jack Nicklaus in the stroke play era. (Note: Stroke play commenced in 1958)
• Jack Nicklaus has also achieved the most runner-up finishes, finishing second on four occasions.
• Six players have successfully defended the US PGA Championship. Back-to-back winners include:
Jim Barnes 1916-19 (not played in 1917-18)
Gene Sarazen 1922-23
Walter Hagen 1924-27
Leo Diegel 1928-29
Densmore Shute 1936-37
Tiger Woods 1999-2000 and 2006-07
• Aussie Steve Elkington holds the record for the lowest ever final round by the eventual winner, The Elk shooting a final round of 7-under 65 to claim the 1995 championship.
• Conversely, Vijay Singh still managed to clinch the title in 2004 despite a final round of 4-over (76), the biggest ever Sunday score by a winner.
• Seven players have gone wire-to-wire to win the US PGA Championship.
Bobby Nicholls 1964
Raymond Floyd 1969
Jack Nicklaus 1971
Raymond Floyd 1982
Hal Sutton 1983
Tiger Woods 2000
Phil Mickelson 2005
• Beginners luck has seen eight players claim the US PGA Championship trophy on their tournament debut. They include:
Jim Barnes (match play) 1916
Tom Creavy (match play) 1931
Bob Hamilton (match play) 1944
Doug Ford (match play) 1955
Bob Tway 1986
John Daly 1991
Shaun Micheel 2003
Keegan Bradley, 2011
Stay up to date with all the latest news, videos and more from the US PGA Championship at http://www.pga.org.au/us-pga-championship