Applications for the 2013 PGA Trainee Program close 31 August 2012
The PGA Trainee Program is ideal for male and female golfers who have a passion for a career in golf. Working alongside a fully qualified PGA Member, this three year program allows Trainees to receive practical work experience and on-the-job training at approved golf facilities around the country. In addition to developing real skills for the workplace, PGA Trainees also receive nationally accredited qualifications in a variety of vocational disciplines.
The PGA Academy currently operates as a Recognised Training Organisation (RTO Number 22044) and provides Nationally Recognised Training. Graduates of the PGA Trainee Program are eligible for the following certifications and accreditations:
- Certificate II in Sport (Career Oriented Participation)
- Certificate III in Sport (Career Oriented Participation)
- Diploma of Sport (Coaching)
- Vocational Golf Coach Accreditation through the Australian Sports Commission
- Full Vocational Membership of the PGA of Australia
Studies in the Trainee Program are a combination of on-the-job training, block release training schools, distance and on-line education.
Key subject areas of the program include:
- Professional Skills - skills for the modern workplace
- Retail & Business Management - strategic and operational skills for successfully operating a business in the golf industry
- Coaching - industry best practice approaches to coaching,leading to the highest level of coach accreditation in golf
- Club Technology - techniques and applications for dealing with ever evolving technologies in golf equipment
- Playing - Trainees are required to compete in a number of professional events to ensure they retain a professional playing standard
Employment opportunities for graduates of the PGA Trainee Program include
- Head Professional/Director of Golf
- Assistant Professional
- Golf Operations Manager/Assistant
- Teaching Professional
- Tournament Professional
- Development Officer
- Company Sales/Technical Representative
Some members also transition into golf management or other industry related roles and seek additional skills through the completion of continuing education programs or external content.
To be eligible for the PGA Trainee Program applicants must:
- Be at least eighteen (18) years of age as at January 1 of the year they commence in the program
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident with the ability to work unrestricted for the duration of the program.
- Have attained a minimum of Year 12 or equivalent and provide certified copies of academic transcripts. If minimum Year 12 has not been attained an Aptitude Test will need to be sat at time of interview
- Have a handicap (exact) at the time of entry of the three (3) or better for males and six (6) or better for females
- Attend an interview with representatives of the State Division or Academy and provide evidence in support of their application. Applicants other than those who have not completed Year 12 may need to undertake an Aptitude Test as part of their admission requirements.
In 2012 the yearly fee for the PGA Traineeship was $3605. Therefore, future applicants for the program can expect a yearly fee approximately the same price.
All applications must be received by the PGA Academy at the PGA National Office no later than 31 August 2012.
Click here to download the 2013 PGA Trainee Program Application Form
Please take time to read through the above Application form as it includes important information regarding the application process.
The application process also requires applicants to complete a five (5) round playing test. In addition to score, on-course demeanour and presentation will also be assessed. Click on the links below to view each states assessment rounds:
- Victoria (Last updated 10/8/2012)
- Western Australia (Last updated 8/8/2012)
- Queensland (Last updated 31/7/2012)
- New South Wales (Last updated 10/8/2012)
- South Australia (Last updated 22/8/2012)
For more information about the PGA Trainee Program click here to download the 2013 PGA Trainee Program Information Brochure or please contact the PGA Academy on (03) 8320 1911 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
State Information Evenings
An Information Evening has also been scheduled prior to the application closing date of 31 August 2012 to give applicants, employer and parents an insight into the PGA Trainee Program and the the career options available on completing the PGA Traineeship. Information Evenings will also explain the application process in detail. Please see below the dates scheduled in each state:
Date & Time: Tuesday 3 July at 6.00pm
Venue: Maylands Peninsula Public Golf Course, Swanbank Road MAYLANDS WA 6051
Contact: Michelle Miller (Email email@example.com or Ph: 08 6430-8102)
Click here to view the Western Australian Information Evening Flyer
Date & Time: Thursday 19 July at 6.00pm
Venue: Sanctuary Cove Golf & Country Club, 1 Gleneagles Drive, SANCTUARY COVE QLD 4212
Contact: David Rosenthal (Email firstname.lastname@example.org or Ph: 07 5657 6102)
Click here to view the Queensland Information Evening Flyer
Date & Time: Wednesday 8 August at 6.30pm
Venue: Sandhurst Club, 75 Sandhurst Blvd, SANDHURST VIC 3977
Contact: Justin Little (Email email@example.com or Ph: 03 8320 1934)
Click here to view the Southern Information Evening Flyer
Date & Time: Thursday 16 August at 6.30pm
Venue: Avondale Golf Club, Avon Road, PYMBLE NSW 2073
Contact: Hannah Everett (Email firstname.lastname@example.org or Ph: 02 8001 4001)
Click here to view the New South Wales Information Evening Flyer